The innovation challenges are focused on improving the performance and value propositions of current and next generation HVAC innovations for New York’s buildings. These innovation challenges identify attributes that drive HVAC innovation and challenge the innovation/entrepreneur community to develop systems that deliver on those attributes, help establish credibility of new companies and products through engagement and involvement of influential buildings sector stakeholders, and drive market entry through identification and leveraging of existing channels to market for HVAC products and services.
In the fifth of seven rounds of innovation challenges, NYSERDA is seeking concept papers focusing on:
• Advanced solutions for heat pumps,
• The use of practical and safe low-GWP refrigerants,
• The development of a panelized system for deep-energy retrofits,
• The development of an integrated HVAC solution for midrise buildings,
• Improvements to thermal storage for HVAC applications, and
• Materials, construction approaches, and manufacturing methods that improve building envelopes